This hearty soup is perfect for a dreary winter day. Here are the ingredients for the Bluebird’s Sausage, Potato, and Kale Soup.
- 4 strips Marksbury Farm thick-cut bacon, sliced
- 1 pound Marksbury Farm Zesty Italian sausage
- 5 unpeeled large russet potatoes, chopped into cubes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Cook the bacon over medium-high heat. When crisp, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Add the Italian sausage to the drippings and brown, breaking up as it cooks. Cook sausage until well done and transfer to the paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add the potatoes, garlic, and onion to the drippings and cook, occasionally stirring for 5 to 10 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Season with crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken broth and increase the heat until it reaches a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are tender and cooked for 10 to 15 minutes. You will know they are done when they can be pierced with a toothpick.
- Add the heavy cream, bacon, and sausage, and continue to simmer. When ready to serve, garnish with the chopped kale on top. Chef’s favorite is Siberian kale, but any can work. If using curly or common kale, add kale and simmer for 5 minutes to soften before serving.